Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Every Day at A&J

While most of the rest of the people in my eight week training session have opted for sit down chain restaurants for lunch, I was looking for something different. I've always thought that if you could skip a chain for a local place then you should, so I did a bit of shopping around during my first week here in the Philly burbs. Then I found my joint and I don't need to look any longer.

It's called A&J Deli and Grill on North Maple Ave in Marlton NJ. If you are in the area I strongly suggest you stop by. The first thing I had there was the Roast Pork with Provolone and Broccoli Rabe (picture above). It was so good it was also the second, third and fourth thing I had there. It got to the point that when I finally ordered something else on my fifth visit the guy behind the counter said that as soon as they saw me walk in they had already started slicing the pork for my sandwich.

Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows... your order.

It was hard for me to stop getting the pork provolone and broccoli rabe. The pork is perfectly roasted and sliced to just the right thickness for it to be substantial but not chewy. It mixes so well with the sharpness of the cheese and the bitterness of the broccoli rabe that it is one of the most well balanced things I've ever eaten.

But, I didn't want to be a one trick pony, so I opted to explore the menu a bit the last few times I visited. I've had a buffalo chicken wrap, a turkey club and "The Bing" which is just like the pork sandwich but with a fried chicken cutlet in the place of the pork. So far they've all been amazing although I'm afraid that I may be messing with my weight loss plan a bit. I may have to have a grilled chicken wrap or sandwich or a panini in between some of the more classic deli fare over the next 4 weeks that I'm here.

Either way, I'm happy to have found such an amazingly high quality joint to eat at while I'm in my training exile.

No comments: