Tuesday, July 05, 2011

A Boy and His Tivo

While it could never compare to how much I miss being away from Inky, I have to say that being away from my DVR is for the birds. We got our first Tivo way back in '04 and I dare say we were the first people we knew with one. At that point I think a lot of people looked at it as a frivolous extra expense but not Inky and I.

We knew the truth from day one. It wasn't just about being able to pause live TV and circumvent millions of dollars worth of advertising dollars. No, for us it was about cutting the cord that tied us to the picture box.

I'm not one of these people who says "I don't watch a lot of TV" because: A) the term "a lot" is relative, and B) this is America jack! We watch TV here. But what I never wanted was to be held hostage by the TV and there were times that we were. We didn't want to miss a show and we didn't feel like programing the VCR so we just stayed home and watched it. Or, there were two shows on at the same time that we liked so we watched one and recorded the other on the VCR. It was so prehistoric!

Well this work induced exile to the Garden State has cast me back in time to a time I think of as B.D. or Before DVR. For example, tonight there happens to be two shows on at 10:00 that I like. So I have to decide if I want to watch Tosh.0 or Covert Affairs at 10 and which of the two I'll watch on the DVR when I get home. I know, it's barbaric.

Soon enough this training will be done, and I'll be back in the White Rose with Inky and this will all be a memory. A sick, twisted, pre-2004 memory. Till then I guess I'll just have to be brave...
____________________________

No comments: