Monday, June 13, 2011

The Scent of Greazy

I'm a big brand loyalty kind of guy. When I find a product I like, I stick with it for years. And years and years. Inky is the same way, and over the years I've adopted some of the loyalties she had when we got married. For instance, when I was a kid we ate mostly Jif peanut butter but Inky is fiercely attached to Skippy's Super Chunk, and I became a convert. I suppose we're not unlike a lot of other people who can be picky about one brand over another. Like the people that will only drink Coke and if the place they are at doesn't carry it they will have water rather than drink Pepsi.

The first thing that crossed from the "I'll get that if they have it at the store" category to the realm of "if they don't have it, I'll go to another store" for me was deodorant. Namely Old Spice High Endurance Fresh deodorant. After hitting puberty I would put on whatever deodorant my mom got for me and my family begged me to use. When I went off to boarding school at 14 I remember that I used Mitchum spray, but sometimes she got me something else and I just rolled with it.

When I came back home to go to public school for Junior year I stumbled upon my brand loyalty. My dad wore the original Old Spice that came in the cream colored cylindrical container with the screw on top. Some times mom would get a deal on it at Price Club and give me one to use, but I didn't want to wear the same thing my old man did. So one day Mom got me the High Endurance Fresh scent and I liked it immediately.

Back then I also wore cologne because I was legally mandated to as an Italian-American male resident of New Jersey who worked in a pizza parlor. It goes without saying that I wore way too much, so if you asked someone what I smelled like they would have said Drakkar Noir.

I know. Such a stereotype. What can I say? I was 16.

By the time I got to college I hardly ever wore cologne any longer, but I still wore my High Endurance Fresh. Now nearly 20 years later, I can't imagine wearing anything else. It's just what I smell like since I don't wear cologne or aftershave and god knows I have no need for shampoo these days. A few years ago I picked up another one of the High Endurance line by accident and I only made it a few days before I went back to the store to get the right one.

I'm not OCD or anything. When it comes to a whole lot of other products I couldn't care less what I get. Most times I make my choice based on price. But with deodorant there is only one that smells like Greazy. If they ever discontinue it I'll have to buy cases of the stuff like Elaine did with the sponge on Seinfeld.
_______________________________

No comments: