Monday, June 27, 2011

Getting Called Back Up to the Show

As I mentioned yesterday I'm starting a new job today. But more important than that is what type of job it is. It's in the big leagues! Not literally, of course, since I've already worked in baseball once and I'll never do that again. What I mean by the big leagues is what a lot of people might take for granted. Things like benefits, 401K, vacation time and good pay.

Sadly, those were things that seemed like a pipe dream during my career interregnum. So when my time sucking the dole banana was coming to an end I had to find a job even if it didn't have all the trappings of the bigs. So I did, and I quickly became aware that I was in the minor leagues, and not the cushy AAA minors. No, I was in the bus riding low minors.

The job was better than the alternative, but only just. Working six days a week selling people things they don't need would be bad even if you were doing it for a top quality company. But when you're doing it for a company that seems to revel in being shady it is hard to get out of bed in the morning. Add to that the fact that they shorted me money in my paycheck the whole time I was there and I knew almost immediately that I needed another chance.

Then I got a great birthday present.

I got a call from a number I didn't recognize while I was sitting at my desk selling. So I let it go to voicemail and checked it at my break. It was a headhunter calling about a really great opportunity after seeing my resume on line. The funny thing is they might not have called me if I hadn't been at that shitty job. So in the end it ended up being like a rehab assignment where an injured big leaguer gets send down to the minors to get a few at bats to get the skills sharpened.

After a phone interview I had about a week wait till I got my in person interview up in Harrisburg. As I drove home from it I told both Inky and XL that I felt really good about how it went, and I hoped I would hear soon. As it turns out I heard about four hours after the interview that they wanted me.

A whirlwind week followed and now I find myself in Jersey for training. I'll be here during the week and heading home to Inky each weekend. I'm not sure what it will be like living out of a suitcase all week long, but I am very excited to have this opportunity. Or, as Crash Davis would say: "We gotta play 'em one day at a time. I'm just happy to be here, I hope I can help the ball club. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good lord willing, things will work out."
_______________________________________

No comments: