Friday, May 13, 2011

Not Because It's Friday...

I really hate today's date. I'm not bothered by the whole Friday the Thirteenth shit because I don't get down like that. I'm pissed because this date represents the one day of the calender year that Inky and I have been in Australia more than once. We left Melbourne on May 13th back in '05 (also a Friday by coincidence) and we arrived in Sydney on the 13th in '08. So on this day I can think back both three and six years to what was going on our two trips down under.

It's also hard because it is almost as if we are missing our date with Oz. We had every intention of going back this year, and we almost certainly would have gone in May. I'll borrow a line from the Flight of the Conchords song "Business Time" when I say that "It's when everything is just right". Even though Aussies speak about the May weather like Floridians talk about their November weather Inky and I find it divine. It's not too hot but it is far from cold. Most days in Sydney or Melbourne will be around 50. Perfect jeans and sweatshirt weather. Plus, in the Outback or the Northern cities it would only be in the 80's as opposed to well over 100 in their summer.

Besides the weather, the Aussie fall is also when the AFL is in full swing. So Inky and I can go see the Cats play, which is always a good thing. One of the major reasons we like going, however, is that April and May is one of the cheapest times to go Down Under. Off peak season is just fine with me, though, so don't tell too many people or they may start going then too and Qantas may start raising their rates.

Maybe we'll make it back to Australia next year. And if not, it'll be the year after. One thing is for sure, I'll be back some day soon. Till then, I'll do some more borrowing, this time from my Jewish friends. On this May 13th Inky and I will raise a glass and say "Next year in Melbourne!"
______________________________

No comments: