Saturday, April 16, 2011

Washed Away

Earlier this week I was all ready to do some yard work but then the rains came. Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty much washed out by those damn April showers. I, for one, couldn't care less if we didn't get any May flowers, thank you very much.

So Inky and I spent Thursday afternoon out in our front yard pulling up thousands of rocks that I laid between our driveway and our neighbors driveway less than three years ago. They did the job well for the first year, but then we started to get weeds growing on top of the black plastic weed-block which kind of defeats the purpose of putting that stuff down.

Add to that the fact that all manner of garbage and leaves ended up trundling down the hill and getting caught in there and we had a situation that needed another solution. So, Inky and I pulled up all the rocks and removed the black plastic in order to put down some grass seed. We figure it won't matter if some weeds grow in there with the grass because when the people come to do the landscaping they'll just weed-wack the lot of it and we'll be square.

So for a few hours on both Thursday and Friday we worked at our task and by last evening it was all done. Just in time for today's torrent of rain. Fuck! We'll see how it turns out, but it's supposed to rain for something like 998 of the next 1000 days so I may be buying some more grass seed at some point.

In the meantime I'll just sit here and listen to Paul Kelly sing "Midnight Rain" on my foul weather playlist and hope for sunnier days.
___________________________

No comments: