Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

When I was 14 my sister took me down to the pizza parlor she worked at and told them I would make a great mop up boy/dishwasher. After they talked to me for a while they told me they'd call and let me know. Two days later I was sitting in the family dining room literally staring at the phone, waiting for it to ring. My mother walked in and said something like "you know staring at that thing won't make it ring you know" at which moment it did in fact ring. Not only did that moment prove to me, yet again, that parents don't always know what they are talking about, it was also my first experience with waiting by the phone for something I wanted.

A few years later, when I was in college, it was a summer job working in a factory that I was waiting to hear about. More time spent sitting by the phone waiting to hear back and more "a watched pot never boils" wisdom from Mom and Dad. Now, even all these years and jobs later, I still can't stand the waiting. It kills me, in fact.

I had a interview on Friday for a job that, if I'm being honest, I wouldn't have wanted very much a year ago. The guy told me that he'd call me the next day, which of course was Saturday so I wasn't worried that I didn't hear from him despite the fact that I knew he was working. It was Saturday after all. So I figured it would come Monday but the day came and went with no call.

Try as I might I couldn't get the phone to ring by staring it down like I could twenty years ago.

Maybe this guy subscribes to the three days rule like we're dating or something. Maybe it's not a priority to the people who are doing the hiring even though it can be of the utmost importance to the job seeker. Maybe I'm finally getting yanged for tall the good luck Yig I used to have. Who knows?

I'm just dreading another day of staring at the phone waiting for it to ring so I can get excited about getting a job that still represents the huge failuer of my entire adult life.
_______________________________________

No comments: