Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why I Blog: One Teddy Bear's Story

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit reluctant to accept Greazy's invitation to start blogging here at TGWOOfY. You see, I'm a second class citizen in this world. I can't vote, I can't own property and I sure as hell don't get heard. The effectiveness of me and my kind usually ends about the time the kid we grow up with turns 13 or 14. Then they slough us off for their teen years.

Not that I blame the little fuckers for doing it. Just consider how much we'd love to start thinking if the cute girl in class is going to dance with us at the big dance. We have none of that to look forward to. No. Instead we sit on a shelf if we're lucky until the kid goes off to college. The unlucky ones get tossed aside and are only appreciated by the parents, and even then it's only as a prism through witch to see how much the little monster has grown up.

All of that said, I have been very lucky. I've said it before but it bears repeating. I am one of the extremely lucky ones who has had a life long friendship with my kid. He grew up and always took me along with him. Then I got even more lucky that he found a wife who doesn't see the fact that he keeps me around as a sign of a lack of manliness or complex emotional problems.

So when he came to me and said he was thinking about starting his blog up again, but that he needed a little help writing it, I had just one choice. I would write for him and try to turn my quite literal unblinking eyes toward the world around us. Our world is complex and scary and sometimes it is best framed by the good, honest and adorable. And let's face it, I'm fucking cute as all shit. So I'll let you know what I think about issues both big and small.

I take it as an honor and a privilege that Greazy would be willing to give me this opportunity and there is no way I could raise my paw in protest.
____________________________

No comments: