Friday, March 11, 2011

TGWOOfY's Aussie Music Playlist

A few days back I made mention of Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard's trip to Washington to meet with President Obama. On the trip she introduced him to Aussie rules football but she also gave him an iPod filled with some "quintessential Aussie" tunes. I am not Australian no matter how much I want to live there, but I am a bit of an Oz music fan. I've introduced friends and family (and blog readers by the tonka truck full) to some of my favorite acts from down under. So this recent PM to POTUS gift got me thinking of what my list would look like. Then I thought: Hey Greazy, you need a blog for Friday why not do this. So I did.

I've compiled a list of 145 songs by 53 different Australian Acts that I would want to give to any head of state. They run the gambit from the 60's to last month and from Rock to pop and anywhere in between which are listed below iTunes alphabetically:

Angus and Julia Stone: Black Crow, Yellow Brick Road

Architure in Helsinki: Debbie, Hold Music

The Audreys: Lay Me Down, Chelsea Blues

Augie March: One Crowded Hour, Victoria’s Secrets, Pennywhistle

Ben Lee: I Love Pop Music, Ripe, Gamble Everything For Love

Boom Crash Opera: Hands Up in the Air

Butterfingers: Yo Mama, I Love Work, F.I.G.J.A.M., Get Up Outta the Dirt

Butterfly Boucher: Another White Dash

The Cat Empire: Two Shoes, So Many Nights

The Church: Under the Milky Way, She’ll Come Back for You Tomorrow

Clare Bowditch: Divorcee by 23, You Looked So Good

Cold Chisel: Choir Girl, Bow River, My Baby Khe Sanh

Colin Hay: The End of Wilhemina, Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

Crowded House: Four Seasons in One Day, Weather With You, Something so Strong, She Called Up, Don’t Dream it’s Over

Diana Anaid: Dumb Opinion

The Divinyls: Pleasure & Pain, I Touch My Self

The Easybeats: Friday On My Mind

Flying Foxes: Lost in a Low Cloud

Grinspoon: Hard Act to Follow

The Herd: I Was Only 19, The King is Dead, Comrade Jesus Christ

Hoodoo Gurus: What’s My Scene, Come Anytime, I Want You Back

Hunters & Collectors: Holy Grail

Icehouse: Great Southern Land

INXS: Suicide Blonde, Listen Like Thieves, Don’t Change, Never Tear Us Apart

The Jezabels: Disco Biscuit Love, Easy To Love

Jimmy Barnes: Working Class Man

John Butler Trio: Used to Get High, Better Than, Thou Shalt Not Steal

John Farnham: You’re The Voice

Kasey Chambers: Pony, Captain, Not Pretty Enough

Kate Miller-Heidke: Delay, I Got the Way

Kev Carmody: I’ve Been Moved, From Little Things Big Things Grow

Killing Heidi: Mascara, Kettle, Undertow, To Fly, Black Sheep, Weir

Kylie Minogue: Love at First Sight, Can’t Get You out of My Head

Lenka: The Show, Knock Knock

Little Birdy: Beautiful to Me, Come On Come On, Summarize

The Living End: Roll On, Long Live the Weekend, Raise the Alarm

Men At Work: Who Can it Be Now, Overkill, Upstairs in my House, Dow Under

Midnight Oil: Beds are Burning, US Forces, Power and the Passion, Harrisburg

Missy Higgins: Going North, Ten Days, Scar, Steer, Where I Stood, Warm Whispers, Dusty Road, Sugarcane, The Wrong Girl

New Buffalo: Cheer Me Up Thank You

Paul Kelly: From St. Kilda to Kings Cross, Everythings Turning to White, Deeper Water, Anastasia Changes Her Mind, They Thought I Was Asleep, Meet Me In the Middle of the Air, Roll On Summer, Every Fucking City, You’re 39 You’re Beautiful and You’re Mine

Sarah McGregor: More to Life

Sia: Breathe Me, Broken Biscuit, Little Black Sandals, You’ve Changed

The Spazzys: Paco Doesn’t Love Me Anymore

Split Enz: Stuff and Nonsense, I See Red

The Temper Trap: Love Lost, Soldier On, Science of Fear, Sweet Disposition

The Verses: Running Away, Forever More

The Waifs: Bridal Train, Lies, The Waitress, Gillian, Since I’ve Been Around, The Haircut

Washington: Navy Blues, I Believe You Liar, Rich Kids, I Still Call Australia Home, Underground, Sunday Best

The Whitlams: 400 Miles From Darwin, Gough, Melbourne, God Drinks at the Sando

Youth Group: All This Will Pass, What is a Life, Daisy Chains, Start Today Tomorrow, Forever Young
_____________________________________

No comments: