Friday, March 04, 2011

Fresh Ink: Finishing My Sleeve


(Click on above for larger view)

I got my fist tattoo the year after my father died. It was a compass rose that I wanted to remind myself to constantly be searching for the right direction in life. It's now 8 years later and while I can't say I have found any particular direction I have gone under the needle plenty of times since then. After the compass on my left arm came a pinup on my right and then it was back to the left. First I added the scroll that reads "Vita nostra brevis est, Venit mors velociter" or "Our lives are short, death comes quickly" which is also meant to remind me to treat life as precious. After that I got the makings of my current sleeve traced including the HMAV Bounty, the rope and anchor, the sea serpent, the moon, sun and stars.

But that wasn't enough for me. Back in September I went to the Baltimore Tattoo Convention and had my fantastic tattoo artist ink me with a sextant. Then, just about 3 weeks ago I wrapped it all up with my new lovely lady Cordelia the mermaid, who you can see has quite a chest. I picked the name because it means daughter of the sea, which seemed fitting for mermaid.

I don't know what, if anything, will be next. There is one little spot behind Cordilla's back that I think would be the perfect place for the little cherub's face blowing the west wind like on an old time map, but who knows. For now, I'm just pleased with what I have so far.
____________________________

No comments: