Monday, December 14, 2009

Wrinkling My Brain

We all have a tendency to fall in to a static life where we very rarely step out of our comfort zone in order to try something new. Inky and I have been working to combat that for a few years now, and every time we do she says we are "adding a new wrinkle" to our brains. If that is the case, I've been wrinkling the hell out of mine over the last 8 weeks or so.

In that time I've been using the mouse exclusively left handed for all my computing needs. As I've mentioned before, I am a natural lefty but I've always worked the mouse with my right hand, mainly because that's where it was on the desk. Since I've been dealing with a pinched nerve in my right arm, I have slowly but surely taken to left handed mousing like a duck to water. So much so, in fact, that I am quickly shaving seconds off my solitaire time every time I play. This weekend, while listening to the Ettes, I put up a 7018 in 110 seconds.

Put in perspective, that was just about what my new high was back on February 28th of this year when I had a 7080 in 109 seconds. At that point I had been working on my game for about 3 months and I would ultimately peak at an 82 second game. Now I am working on a whole new challenge and I feel like I am ahead of the curve I set as a righty.

Using a mouse right handed seams almost strange to me now, but I hope to rehab my injured right elbow and on day fulfill my promise as a switch hitting solitaire ace. We can all dream can't we?

No comments: