Thursday, December 03, 2009

Top Songs of the Decade: 40-11

Today I bring you the last group of songs before tomorrow's top 10. I've been working on this list for the last few months, slowly narrowing down the list from about 400 to about 150 a few weeks ago. Once I had it down to 100 and started putting them in order I was surprised to see that I had such an imbalance of men to women. I tend to really like female acts more, but in the final break down it was men 59, Women 39 and duets 2. That was offset somewhat by 8 female acts in the top 10, but more on that tomorrow.

Featured today Rilo Kiley and their lead singer Jenny Lewis. Rilo is another of my favorite bands of the decade, albeit based more on their work earlier rather than later. Jenny's two solo records were fantastic, but seemed to have a bit of an effect on the last two Rilo records, so I had to take the good with the bad. Jenny makes it on the list 4 times based on her one solo track (#74) and the three from Riko Kiley (#14, #37 & #70).

40) Heart of Mine - Peter Salett
39) You Know I’m No Good - Amy Winehouse
38) Ootischenia - The Be Good Tanyas
37) The Execution of All Things - Rilo Kiley
36) Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap
35) DOA - Foo Fighters
34) Sentimental Heart - She & Him
33) Divorcee by 23 - Clare Bowditch
32) Everybody Knows You Cried Last Night - Fratellis
31) For a Pessimist, I’m Pretty Optimistic - Paramore

30) 400 Miles From Darwin - The Whitlams
29) TFT - The Fontaine Toups
28) Forever Young - Youth Group
27) Fake Tales of San Francisco - Arctic Monkeys
26) Hey Julie - Fountains of Wayne
25) Mascara - Killing Heidi
24) Breathe Me - Sia
23) Sons of Cain - Ted Leo & the Pharmacists
22) I Feel It All - Feist
21) Still Fighting It - Ben Folds

20) Miserere - The Cat Empire
19) Little Voice - Sara Bareilles
18) Supernatural Superserious - R.E.M.
17) Anna Is a Stool Pigeon - Tom Gabel
16) Young Folks - Peter Bjorn and John
15) We Will Become Silhouettes - The Postal Service
14) It’s A Hit - Rilo Kiley
13) Droving Woman - Augie March, Missy Higgins, Paul Kelly
12) Straight Lines - Silver Chair
11) Playing Your Song - Hey Mercedes
____________________________

No comments: