Friday, November 27, 2009

My Tank's On E

I know it's cliche to talk about how early the Christmas season seems to start every year, but I'm going to any way. Last year and the year before that I was very low on Christmas spirit but this year my tank is bone dry. I've grown tired of the overblown consumerism that has taken a holiday I once loved and turned it into just another reason for people to deficit finance more crap that they don't need.

I've taken a lot of time over the last three years to examine what it is that I like about the holiday. Sure, everyone likes getting gifts, but let's be honest, how much crap do we all need? I struggle every year to come up with more than 2 or 3 things that I want, let alone need. So it was that Inky and I stopped getting gifts for each other a few years ago. To be honest, it's been quite freeing, in part because I try and get her things she would like all throughout the year and she does the same for me. If you need to be told when and why to buy a gift for a person is it really a magical and joyous occasion? I think not.

The next part of the holiday equation was even easier for me to shed than pointless gifts. I'm just going to say it, and if you have a problem with it you probably shouldn't be reading my blog: I FUCKING HATE 99% OF THE CHRISTMAS SONGS IN EXISTENCE. They're just awful. Sure, I liked them as a kid, but then again I also liked The Dukes of Hazard, burning shit with a magnifying glass and Mad Libs. Since then I've grown up and I only like two of those three things now. You figure out which. So since I can't stand Christmas music, god knows I can't go anywhere in public from mid November till the end of the year, so shopping is out.

I have never been, nor will I ever be a "go to the mall/department store to see the displays" kind of guy. And I am certainly not a "wake up at the ass crack of dawn to elbow a mother of two out of the way to get my hands on a cheep POS electronic device on black friday" kind of guy, although most of the time the elbowing part sounds cathartic when I hear people that are getting all carried away by the festivities.

Once I did the math, I found out that the only parts of the holidays I actually like anymore is spending time with people I like while eating food I like. With that being the case I ask you: why do I have to confine that to the last Thursday in November and December 25th? Why put on all the extra airs and add all the extra stress while spending the extra dough? Sure, if you have kids, then by all means do it up for them. They deserve it. But for the rest of us adults why not just get together eat Turkey, Pie, Cookies, Ham, more cookies and whatever else floats your boat.
___________________________________

No comments: