Saturday, October 10, 2009

No Help From Olivia

I thought that playing some solitaire with Olivia "hottest woman in the western world" Wilde would result in another great time, but, no such luck. The best I could manage in the last week was a 104, which doesn't even crack my top 20. I don't know if it's because our old office chair broke, but I just can't manage to get comfortable when I sit at the computer to play a few hands of solitaire. I know, I know... a good craftsman never blames his tools, but a chair can be very important.

We used to have a nice high backed office chair that we got at one of the bix box stores, but it broke about a month ago. The pivot part broke right through the bottom and got all sorts of grease on the carpet, so it was off to the curb for it. Since we aren't in a "go out and buy another office chair" sort of place right now, we decided to make do with what we have. And what we have is a chair that my father purchased when it ended its run in the Virgina Supreme Court back in the mid 70's. I don't know how long the chair sat in that hallowed chamber of law, but my guess would be that it was at least 20 years old at the time making it about 50 years old now.

All throughout my childhood the chair was there, and it was the one item I coveted from my parents house. It seemed larger than life when I was a kid, but by the time I was ready to take it to my own home, it was just regular size and in terrible disrepair. So, as a gift to Inky and I, my mother had it reupholstered and prior to giving it to me a few years back. I love having it, and I often pull it up to the poker table when I have the boys over, but, an office chair it is not.

No comments: