Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hey, Your Headlights Are On

When I got my first car with day-time running lights it used to drive me crazy that people would constantly flash their lights at me. Back in the day, that was the courteous thing to do when you saw someone during the day with their lights on. Of course, back then, your car didn't beep at you when your left your lights on, so, if you were forgetful, you might have left the mall to find a dead battery.

As with so many other social customs it has gone the way of the Dodo. Now if someone is flashing their lights at you during the day they are either warning you about a speed trap or it's a rock star that everyone thought was dead outside your house signaling that it's time for you to come out. Since John Cafferty is so rarely in my town, that's one that I don't have to worry about.

Some things just catch on, even if they have far outlived their usefulness. For instance: saying "god bless you" when someone sneezes is considered being polite even to this day. We live in a world where 99.999% of the people out there know that a sneeze isn't a little bit of your soul sneaking out of your body, and yet this ridiculous ritual is so ingrained in us that I just shouted it down to Inky a second ago when she sneezed.

Other customs slip away due to changes in the times we live in. XL and I talk all the time about things that have changed in the wake of modern communications improvements. Likewise, modern medicine has made people more aware of the need for improved hygiene, so much so that I wonder if the handshake will be a distant memory with in a generation or two.

PS - Since I am a man, and as such I think like a 14 year old at all times, I can't help think of nipples when I think of headlights. When I think of someone being unaware of their obvious nipple hardness I always think of three things. One is St. Kilda forward Nick Riewoldt, who is always at attention. The second is the scene in Showgirls where Larry Finkelstein says to Nomi "I'm hard. Why aren't you?" and then offers her an ice cube.

The last is the above picture of Farrah Fawcett which is in a tie with Phoebe Cates for the image most credited with making young boys of my generation think dirty thoughts. I always assumed the people that made that poster pulled a Finkelstein on Farrah, but a memorial spread in Playboy this month has me realizing that I was wrong. As it turns out, there must have been a whole lot of people flashing their lights at Farrah in the 70's and 80's.

PPS - It was hard for me to to a post where I tied headlights, hard nipples and John Cafferty together (seamlessly, I might add) with out making a smart ass reference to the Beaver Brown Band. It was in there like five times, but I just kept taking that paragraph out for fear of doing too much. Alas, I couldn't just leave well enough alone.
_______________________

No comments: