Thursday, October 15, 2009

Adventures in Unemployment: You Da Ho

One of the only upsides of funemployment is that, by definition, you have a lot of free time. While much of that time is used up in soul crushing self doubt/loathing, there is still plenty of time for flights of fancy. There's reading, listening to music, video game playing, cleaning of gutters and day dreams. Most of them involve some combination of Australia, travel and Kelly Brook playing beach volleyball with Emily Scott.

Since Kelly and Emily need a break every now and then, most of my day dreaming is about traveling. While Australia is always my #1 most-desired destination, I do have tons of other places that I'd like to visit, either for the first time or as a repeat visit. But, unlike most people who only dream about two weeks in Hawaii, or the like, I have a list of strange places I'd like to go to. Last year I was thinking about visiting Sydney Canada, but this year my odd desire is to visit Boise, Idaho.

That's right. I said Boise, Idaho. I know that's about as exciting as going to Delaware, but I have some strange impulses when it comes to road trips. For some reason, Boise is calling me.

The worst part is, I really don't know why I want to go there. I do know that it's going to be 70 there tomorrow and it's not supposed to make it out of the 40's here, but that's not why. I really like the parts of the North West I saw last year, but Boise sure isn't Seattle. It's a city of about 200,000 people with a metro area of about half a million. Most of my exposure to it over the last 20 years has involved a football field with a blue surface, but my initial exposure to Oz was INXS and Men at Work. You never know where your inspiration might come from.

I don't know if I'll ever get to Boise or not. I'm sure as hell not going any time soon. But, as long as I have all this free time I'll find myself thinking about how to do it on the cheap, for no other reason than because it's in my head. One summer during college I jumped in my car no less than a half dozen times on a whim and went somewhere. It's a wanderlust thing, and I've always had a particularly bad case. Plus, the condition is only exacerbated by having to spend so much time at home on my funemployment budget. At this point, a day trip to NYC would feel like being the first guy to set foot on Mars to me.
______________________________

No comments: