Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Every Boy's Dream

One thing that has always stuck in my craw is that I was the same exact height as my dad. Not that I know what a craw is supposed to be, or even where it is or how something goes about getting stuck there, but it did. A kid is supposed to be taller than his father. But, in so many ways, my dad (seen here at my wedding pictured with my Uncle Pat) will always be larger than life to me. For any kid who lionized his dad, the ultimate dream is to do better than him. While my current funemployment has set me back in that goal, I have managed to better him in one area.

The sub.

Not "A" sub; "The" sub.

I did a post a few years ago about how making this sub made me think fondly of my dad in the years since he died. In many ways it was a tiny way of remembering him, but I realized that he wouldn't have wanted us to be complacent in his absence, so I decided to innovate. And thus was born "The Sub 2.0"

I kept all the same ingredients: Genoa Salami, provolone, peppers, tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar, but I changed the preparation.

Whereas his sub was a loaf of bread cut to a pivot, I cut the bread into a top and bottom. I still hollowed out the top to allow for a pepper reservoir and dressed the bread with O & V. Then I layered the salami and cheese on the bottom piece only rather than placing it on either side.

The next innovation was to cut the tomato into slices rather than chunks. In his sub the chunks would be mixed in with the peppers, but had a habit of popping out the end of the sub and going rogue. I solved this by slicing them and using one smaller roll that has no open ends.

The last step is to take the top with its peppers and marry it with the bottom and its meat and cheese. The result: perfection.

I know the end result is markedly better than the old version, because I never put it down while eating it. I just sat there holding it and gazing at it while I devoured it. Upon seeing this Inky was so disturbed that she said "I don't like the way you're looking at that sub." Naturally, I blocked her out. She can't ever understand what the sub and I have. I want it. I need it. I have to have it inside me.
______________________________________

1 comment:

XL said...

Looks like you borrowed a trick from the "Izzo Cheese Steak" to make the pepper resovoir. I have my own version of an Italian sub which is similar although I incorporate capicola and pepperoni along with the Genoa salami and ax the tomatoes because I hate them. I also use spicy peppers but I digress.

Inky is rightfully concerned about your relationship with that sub. I'm sure she is well aware of yours and my love affair with food and how it rules our lives...