Friday, August 14, 2009

Ten Years.

At this very moment, ten years ago, I was watching the love of my life walking toward me in her wedding dress. Right about now, a crash of thunder echoed out over the rain starved landscape. As she got closer to where I was standing the heavens opened up and poured down the rain on the brown grass surrounding the place where we would become life-long partners. Today is our 10 year anniversary.

For the last decade I have been lucky enough to know that I have had someone with me who is the complete embodiment of anything and everything I could ever need. Or, to quote our wedding song
Life may not always go your way
And every once in awhile you might have a bad day
But I promise you now you won't ever be lonely
The sky turns dark and everything goes wrong
Run to me and I'll leave the light on
And I promise you now you won't ever be lonely

For as long as I live
There will always be a place you belong
Here beside me
Heart and soul baby -- you only
And I promise you now you won't ever be lonely
And I have never felt lonely with Heidi in my life. There where hundreds of other songs we could have picked to play on that very important day, as evidenced by the more than 8,000 songs we now both have on our iPods. And despite the fact that neither of us thinks of country as a favorite genre, we both really loved the message in this song. Because, just like the vows say, there is so much you don't know about what your life together will be like. Sickness, health, richer or poorer ("poorer is underlined here") on that day we didn't know what kind of promises we could make to one another. Except that I would always be there for her, and she for me. And that is a promise we have kept, for ten years now.

I don't know what the next 10 years will hold for the two of us, but I do know one thing for sure: with Heidi in my life, I will never be lonely and I will do everything in my power to make sure that never is either. All the rest of it is unimportant distraction. What truely matters in my world is my one sweet love. I love you Heidi, happy anniversary.

________________________________

2 comments:

Heidi Champa said...

Awwww, baby. I love you too.

pattimeyers said...

I was telling my friend about your wedding today!! I had the best time and think it was a GREAT day!! The kids play with the un-autographed baseball!! I love you both!!