Friday, August 28, 2009

I've Got No Good Excuse For Being This Rusty

For the life of me I can't figure out why I discontinued my quest for the lowest solitaire score of all times. It's not like I don't have a ton of time on my hands, because I do. I started this quest at the Nashville airport during a layover on my way to Seattle. It started as a way to kill some time while I was traveling, then, it became a crusade.

I played on my laptop, on my home computer and even at work from time to time. I broke the two minute mark and then whittled my time down to a minute and a half, where I thought I might have hit the wall. When all was said and done, by mid-May I set my new and current personal best of 9159 points in 82 seconds. I had my eyes set on going all the way down to the minute mark, but then it all fell apart.

The best I did in June was 7673 points in 100 seconds, which looks fast when compared to what I did in my first few weeks of funemployment. Maybe it was unemployment malaise, but I just stopped playing regularly. Once I stopped, I got even more rusty and once I got rusty I lost my desire. It's a tale as old as time.

Now, I'm back in the saddle, and I've rededicated myself to getting to a minute. So far, my best result is 6613 in 117 seconds, but it's the first game I've played under two minutes in a while, so I'm taking it as a good sign. To keep myself motivated I'm playing with upbeat iTunes play lists as well as some visual motivation in the background. I think it'll help:

No comments: