Friday, July 03, 2009

TGWOOfY Top Songs of 2009, So Far

I sill love music as much as I always have, but I've been burned in the past and I've learned my lesson. So, I don't buy whole CD's nearly as much as I used to. Not only don't I feel like I should be spending too much green on frivolous items right now, but I've learned that there just aren't that many great records anymore. So, I still pick up a bunch of records (probably more than most people, but far fewer than some others) but I do the majority of my music consuming on a single by single basis. So it is that I have a top 50 list with 49 different acts on it to show for my music enjoyment over the last 6 months.

The list features 26 tracks by female acts and 23 by guys with one duet. While the US is home to the most acts on the list, with 23, more than half the list comes from around the world. Australia represents 13 spots with England holding down 7 more. Glasgow Scotland has three spots on the list with two from Camera Obscura and one from label-mates The 1990's. The last 4 spots are split between Sweden and Norway with 2 each.

My incessant list making will be back at the end of the year with the best songs and records of 2009 as well as the best songs of the 00's, and the bands/artists of the decade. Till then, enjoy my madness:

50) Band of Skulls - I know What I Am
49) Butterfly Boucher - Gun for a Tongue
48) Alela Diane - Dry Grass and Shadows
47) Emmy the Great - We Almost Had a Baby
46) Company of Thieves - Pressure
45) Kate Voegele - Manhattan From the Sky
44) Heartless Bastards - The Mountain
43) Green Day - Before the Lobotomy
42) Peter Bjorn and John - Nothing to Worry About
41) Kati O'Toole - Drove All Night

40) Paige Wood - Carmelite
39) Kate Havnevik - Show Me Love
38) Conor Oberst - Roosevelt Room
37) She & Him - Lotta Love (Cover)
36) Girl in a Coma - Empty Promise
35) Jarvis Cocker - I Never Said I Was Deep
34) Little Birdy - Summarize
33) Jenny Owen Youngs - Here is a Heart
32) Howling Bells - Cities Burning Down
31) Mike Dunn - Princeton

30) The Church - Lunar
29) The Fabulous Miss Wendy - I Like Boys
28) Camera Obscura - The Sweetest Thing
27) Metric - Gimme Sympathy
26) Tara Simmons - Domino
25) M. Ward - Rave On
24) Wild Light - California On My Mind
23) Ida Maria - I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked
22) Art Brut - DC Comics and Chocolate Milkshakes
21) Cage the Elephant - Ain't No Rest for the Wicked

20) Silversun Pickups - Panic Switch
19) The Decemberists - The Rake's Song
18) Jill Sobule - San Francisco
17) The Boxer Rebellion - Evacuate
16) 1990's - Kickstrasse
15) British India - I Said I'm Sorry
14) Augie March - Pennywistle
13) Lily Allen - Fuck You
12) Indigo Girls - Sugar Tongue
11) Missy Higgins - More Than This (Cover)

10) The Duke Spirit - My Sunken Treasure
9) The Living End - Raise the Alarm
8) A Camp - Stronger than Jesus
7) Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Hysteric
6) Flying Foxes - Lost in a Low Cloud
5) Ben Lee - I Love Pop Music
4) Neko Case - Magpie to the Morning
3) Youth Group - All This Will Pass
2) Camera Obscura - Honey in the Sun
1) The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
__________________________________________________

No comments: