Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Greazy Tony: A Self Portrait

No, I haven't taken up painting in the few weeks that I've been out of work. I've been spending that time doing other things that I will be profiling weekly in my upcoming "Adventures in Unemployment" series. I actually painted this masterpiece-of-shit in my junior year Art Appreciation class. XL and I took the class together, just as we did with Music Appreciation the year before, and let's just say we didn't learn to appreciate either art or music thanks to our 6 credits.

Along with studying the classics, and learning some "how to" basics of painting, we were forced to do a self portrait. I went with the green and brown skin to play up my dego heritage, which I guess makes sense. But I'm still not sure why my neck is black and my eyes are yellow and red and who even knows what the hell is going on with my hair. When I presented it to the teacher I chalked it up to artistic licence and got an A. A result that led me to realize that just about all artists are totally full of shit, which may have been the only thing I learned in that class. You've got to love the course requirements at a liberal arts school.

Forgetting about the fact that I'm not an eighth of the artist that my brother is, and that the class was a waist of my time and money, I still like this picture. It has been on display in our "red room" for years now. Maybe it's because it is one of the only things I have ever drawn/painted that is recognizable as what it is supposed to be. Or, perhaps, it could be because it reminds me of all the fun I had in college with Inky, XL and all our friends.

In the end, I don't know what it is that I like about it. I guess in a way, it is just like most of the rest of the "art" in the world in that most people can't really say what it is that makes them like it. When do I get a grant or a patron?
_______________________________

1 comment:

MJ Fetz said...

I see a very slight resemblance to the subject matter... were you drunk?

Check out my new blog at cumgranumsalis2@blogspot.com

Talk to you soon.