Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Show Review: Camera Obscura at the 9:30



We all have a list of things we can't believe we haven't gotten around to doing. After Sunday, my list is one thing shorter. It was a small thing, but I'm happy to say that I finally got to see my favorite band of the '00s live and in person. Inky and I made our way down to DC to see them play at the world famous 9:30 Club, but not before we met up with Emerald for dinner first.

We had originally planed to eat at another famous DC institution, Ben's Chili Bowl, but found the lines to be way too long, and the seating options to be scarce. So we went next door to eat at Ben's Next Door, which is a bit more upscale, but also has great food. As not to miss out, I had a side of chili with my burger, so the visit was complete. After nearly two hours of catching up with Emerald, it was time for Inky and I to make our way up the street to the 9:30.

The show was just about everything I could have hoped it would be. Not even the couple standing in front of us practically fucking one another the whole show could distract from my enjoyment of getting to see one of my favorite bands in person at last. What made the show even more enjoyable was the fact that Tracyanne and Co don't mess around when it comes to playing a set. They are like a relief pitcher that eschews the wind up and always pitches from the stretch. It was just rock and fire. Or, pop and fire in this case. There wasn't a whole lot of banter between songs and as such they did a 16 song set in an hour and twenty minutes.

The set consisted of seven tracks each from the last two records, Let's Get Out of This Country and My Maudlin Career as well as one track each from their first two. From 2001's Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi they did "Eighties Fan" which just happens to be one of my favorite songs of all time. Then to top it off, the track they played from Underachievers Please Try Harder, "Teenager", was my favorite from that that 2003 record. Perfection!

They wrapped the show up with "Razzle Dazzle Rose" which is the perfect way to end a perfect show. All in all, it was a great way to spend the first day of summer, and I'm glad the planets finally lined up and allowed me to be in the right place at the right time to see this fantastic Scottish group live.

Set List

1. My Maudlin Career
2. Swans
3. Tears for Affairs
4. The Sweetest Thing
5. James
6. Teenager
7. Let's Get Out of This Country
8. Honey in the Sun
9. Eighties Fan
10. Country Mile
11. French Navy
12. Come Back Margaret
13. If Looks Could Kill

14. Other Towns and Cities
15. Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heart Broken
16. Razzle Dazzle Rose.
__________________________________

No comments: