Friday, May 22, 2009

On My Knees Behind My Desk...

...not like that you perv, but there was a moment today where I was in that position. It started at 7:00 AM when I woke up to listen to my Geelong Cats play the Western Bulldogs in round 9 AFL action. Even though the Cats came into the game undefeated, Inky and I weren't too confidant. See, the Cats are down a few good players due to injuries and a stupid suspension. Add to that the fact that Western are a very good side who sit third in the standings and this was always going to be difficult game.

Oh yeah, and it was week nine and Geelong were 8-0 going into a Friday Night Footy match up against a team that played them tough in the previous year's preliminary final. We've seen this scenario before... in person. Last year the Cats were 8-0 heading into a Friday night game against Collingwood, who pushed them to the limit before the Cats went on to the Grand Final. And Inky and I were there to see the Geelong drop to 8-1 in person. It was the first and only time we've ever seen the Cats play live, and one of only two games they would lose all season. It hurt.

Now, we're forced to watch on TV (when Setanta sees fit to broadcast their games) or else we have to listen on the radio via the net. I'd much rather see the game, either in person or on TV than listen on the radio, because the nature of radio heightens the tension in tight games. Like that preliminary final vs Collingwood back in '07 (which I also got up early to listen to) today's game had me on the edge of my seat. The Cats held a 3 point lead with less than a minute to play and the Dogs were playing very well in the 4th quarter. When one of their best players took a mark and lined up for the game winning goal with no time left on the clock, I slipped right off the edge of my seat and on to my knees. Right there behind my desk, at 8:20 in the morning.

I'm getting too old for this shit. But, so too is Brad Johnson who missed that game winning attempt, scoring only one point and handing the Cats a 2 point win in the process. 9-0, but it brought me to my knees.

___________________________

No comments: