Monday, May 25, 2009

Greazy Tony's Firecracker 500 (Minus 450)

When I was a kid growing up in New Jersey, holiday weekends always had a set game plan. Amid the family BBQ's and merriment there would always be a soundtrack provided by one of the local radio station's countdowns of the greatest songs of all time. The one that really sticks out in my mind was WNEW's 1996 Firecracker 500 which was held on 4th of July weekend. I know it's pathetic, but I still remember where I was when they announced Stairway to Heaven as the number one song. Looking back on the list, it's really just every Billy Joel, Eric Clapton, Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Allman Brothers song ever, which obviously informed my musical pallet, since all of them are on my list. In fact, 7 of the songs that appear in the top 100 are on my top 50. I guess you are what you are exposed to.

Since this is a holiday weekend, and I've already been to the family BBQ, I figured it was time for me to update my list of favorite songs of all time. Falling off the list are 5 songs that I still love, but that had to go to make way for some new stuff. The US still represents the largest part of the list, with 60%, and the England and Australia are each at 16% with Canada, Jamaica, Norway and Scotland each placing one song on the list. Male voices account for 73% of the list and there are 5 tracks that are covers. As a child of the 90's it's no surprise that 32% of the songs come from that era. The 70's account for 24%, this decade has 22%, the 60's has 14% and the 80's posts 8%.

Now, here is the TGWOOfY Top 50 for 2009, the new songs are bolded:

50) Sara Bareilles - Little Voice
49) Camera Obscura - Eighties Fan
48) Youth Group - Forever Young
47) a-ha - Take on Me
46) Counting Crows - Einstein on the Beach (For an Eggman)
45) Ass Ponys - Little Bastard
44) Frank Sinatra - Wave
43) The Cyrkle - Red Rubber Ball
42) Rilo Kiley - Portions for Foxes
41) Augie March, Missy Higgins, Paul Kelly - Droving Woman

40) Liz Phair - Divorce Song
39) Pearl Jam - Jeremy
38) Archers of Loaf - Web in Front
37) The Waifs - Lies
36) Lou Reed - Walk on the Wildside
35) Hey Mercedes - Playing Your Song
34) Crowded House - Weather With You
33) Death Cab for Cutie - What Sarah Said
32) Augie March - One Crowded Hour
31) Missy Higgins - Going North

30) Tristan Prettyman - Songs for the Rich
29) Paul Kelly - From Little Things, Big Things Grow
28) Son Volt - Route
27) Cold Chisel - Khe Sanh
26) The Smiths - There is a Light That Never Goes Out
25) R.E.M. - Crush with Eyeliner
24) Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man
23) Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire
22) The Kinks - Picture Book
21) The Indigo Girls - Least Complicated

20) Don Mclain - American Pie
19) The Clash - London Calling
18) Green Day - When I Come Around
17) Janes Adiction - Jane Says (Live)
16) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Suck My Kiss
15) Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along the Watchtower
14) The Beatles - Let it Be
13) Bob Marley - No Woman, No Cry (Live)
12) Bob Dylan - The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo)
11) The Dead Milkmen - Methodist Coloring Book

10) XTC - The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead
9) Queen and David Bowie - Under Pressure
8) Sheryl Crow - Hard to Make a Stand
7) The Allman Brothers Band - Mellisa
6) Ani DiFranco - Little Plastic Castle
5) The Band - The Weight
4) Derek and the Dominos - Layla
3) Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee
2) Led Zeppelin - D'Yer Ma'ker
1) Billy Joel - Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)

____________________________

1 comment:

cease ill said...

I'm the first to comment! I like and know over half these songs and was just putting up a list of tunes for my friends who stop by to say happy b-day.
War stories? Give me your opinion:
I'm ready to sell this one, but what do YOU think:

http://ceaseill.blogspot.com/2009/12/only-way-to-go-is-up-1-of-2-over-this.html thanks feel free to write