Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Allow Me To Introduce: Camera Obscura

I'm counting down the days till I get to see Camera Obscura in person at the 9:30 Club in DC. I'll pass the next 31 days listening to music of all kinds, but you can bet that this amazing Glasgow group will be in heavy rotation. I'll be playing their newest release My Maudlin Career which is amazingly good, but I'll also be playing the other 3 records they put out in the 00's.

As far as I'm concerned, Camera Obscura is the band of the decade and I don't say that lightly. There are a lot of other acts that I have loved over the past 9 1/2 years, but none who can measure up. With full length releases in '01, '03, '06 and now '09 they have blanketed the decade with their profoundly deep brand of pop music. They have some of the saddest sounding love songs, and some of the happiest sounding breakup songs imaginable, and everything they do oozes sorrow, drama, emotion and earnestness.

I don't know yet if My Maudlin Career will be my favorite Camera Obscura record, but it's sure on it's way to being my favorite of '09. I'd like to take a moment to introduce you to it, track by track, by posting these clips in which Traceyanne Campbell tells you about each song. My favorite track on the record is the last one Honey in the Sun, which, preictably, was inspired by Traceyanne sighing the Southern Cross on a trip to Australia.










No comments: