Thursday, April 23, 2009

Quality Time with the Captain

There was nothing better about being 20 than the ability to function on 4 hours of sleep. I did it quite a bit back then, in fact, I used to hate sleeping. I looked at it as if sleep was the time where I wasn't getting anything done. When I lived with XL in college we would stay up till all hours of the night playing video games, watching movies, drinking ourselves stupid or just bullshitting. We'd go to sleep at 4 and then wake up at 7:55 to rush to start our radio show at 8. And it was brilliant.

After college, I had a variety of jobs that all carried strange hours. When you're working on the 10 o'clock news there is no need to get up at 7. Like wise, when you are working for a baseball team, sleep goes out the window. By the time I made it into a grown up job I spent 75% of my time there working "non-traditional schedules" so I was always up late then too. So I never got in touch with a "normal" bed time, which I guess is about 10:30 or so.

Most nights, I don't even head for the Captain until well after 11:30. When I do, I always get sidetracked by web surfing, solitaire playing or just shooting the shit with Inky. By the time the lights go out it is usually well past midnight. Then the alarm rings out at 7:10 and I begin yet another day with less than 7 hours of sleep. Not surprisingly, I am sluggish and bitchy just about every day.

Last night was totally different though. After late nights on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I didn't have much of a choice in the matter when it came to Wednesday night's events. After making some fucking amazing spiedie pork chops and watching a little TV I made my way upstairs at 10 and I was out by 20 after. I think the last time I went to bed that early I had just finished watching Alf and asked my mom if I could stay up a bit longer to watch Night Rider.

It was everything a person can want from a night of sleep too. It was rejuvenating and invigorating and when I woke up I felt like I could run a marathon. I can't, of course, but I felt like it at least. But, the funny thing about all this is that I won't learn my lesson. Tonight I'll stay up till past midnight once again, mostly because I still can't admit to myself that I am a person who should be going to bed at 10:30. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

_

No comments: