Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Miss The Time When Fuckin' Around Doubled as Work

Every year around this time I begin thinking back to the salad days of my life. You know, the days when a "full time" week was 15 hours. Of course, I'm talking about college. Since I have worked on a college campus for the last 3 years, I've had a first hand look at the lives of college students from the outside looking in. Plus, Inky has gone undercover over the last few months; actually studying amongst them. All this observation has allowed us to once again prove the theory that youth is indeed waisted on the young. They all think they have it so tough, and they're all so sure there is nothing left for them to learn.

I'd be lying if I said we weren't like that a bit when we were in school, but only a bit. For some reason our little group seemed to have a solid grasp on what it meant to be in college. Add to that the fact that we were in a major where a "big project" consisted of acting like an ass, just so long as it was on camera. As Mass Communications students we had classes like Radio Production I & II, News Writing, Media Management, Video Production I & II and many more like them. Some of these assignments were "hard" in that we had to take time out of our busy drinking and Sega playing schedule to go down to Camden Yards to do a news package. What they weren't, however, were 30 page papers with footnotes.

The weather this weekend got me thinking about a when XL and I put together one of these projects. It was the late spring of 1995 and we were doing our final project for Video Production. The assignment was a 5 minute plus video that employed all the skills we had learned to that point. Video, audio, editing, focus, white balancing, lighting and tilts and pans coming to fruition, that sort of thing. Rather than do a quick 5 minute piece with a few dozen edits like some of our classmates chose to do (*cough* Inky *cough*) XL and I bit off a bit more.

Our project was called The College Gourmet which was a cooking of college students, by college students and for college students. Much to Inky's, and the other student's dismay the video was 20 plus minutes. Twenty brilliant, insightful and hilarious minutes. It's really a gift to the rest of the world, but, to this point it has gone unseen by all but about 12 people. The smart thing for me to do would be to post the video on YouTube and then link it or embed it to this post, but I'm far too old school for that. So, in classic old school fashion here is "The Cooking Show" in screen-cap and recap format:

I had responsibility for the first menu item in the show, which was a huge cheese steak. I chopped the onions and peppers and fried them up along with the steaks...

...as I was tossing the steak and veggies in our retardedly small frying pan, I somehow managed to produce a flame from the electric range. We were always nearly burning that place down, which may explain why we were asked to leave the next year.

While I took care of the main course, XL handled double duty. Here he shows off the completely thawed bag of 87 cent french fries that served as our side dish...

...and here XL peals open ..."peeeeals open" the top of one of the four puddin' cups that made up our dessert. It fed four, by the way...

While throwing away some trash, XL hits a piece of our recording equipment. It's laughable now to think that he was worried about damaging it, since it was held together with bubble gum and scotch tape...

XL gets a bit crazy when applying the whipped cream to the dessert and shoots it right into, and then out of, his mouth. Notice the "XL's mouth sized" ball of dairy topping that is falling into the bowl here...

... I would have loved to have known that part of what was in that bowl was in XL's mouth, because I put my face in it.

When all was said and done, we had a nice looking plate to present to the camera...

...and to our roommate Wayne and his girlfriend.

Since we were 19 and lived on a dry campus, we made sure to serve the meal with this special "not-beer" rather than the real thing.

_

1 comment:

XL said...

We should stop fucking around and redo that show now that we are "grown up". I've got the software...can you believe you can make this stuff on computers now??