Sunday, April 05, 2009

Double Figures Bitches!

I used to wonder what Roald Amundsen, Edmund Hillary and Neal Armstrong felt in the moment just before they achieved their amazing firsts. Now, I don't have to wonder any longer, I know. I know the pride that must have been swelling in Amundsen's chest as he took the last few steps toward the South Pole. I know the amazing sense of achievement that must have begun to set in as Hillary and Norgay made their way to the top of Everest. And I know the feeling of getting away with something that Armstrong must have had as he hopped around that TV studio in Dallas in July of '69.

I know all of this because I am on the precipice of greatness myself. This week, I posted a solitaire score in the double figures for the first time ever. I played a near flawless game that concluded with a score of 8092 in 94 seconds. That shaves 6 seconds off my previous best time while adding 432 points to my PB score. My personal summit is just 4 seconds away and I can practical feel my own pole in my fingers... er... you know what I mean. I'm almost there.

With a four day work week upon me, I think I'll have a lot more free time to pursue the record. I've done my best work on weekends of late, but his particular PB happened late one night, long past my bedtime, as I listened to Green Day's "American Idiot." Who knows when the moment will arrive when I play a 90 second, or lower, game.

Now, all my best times are 107 seconds or better and all my best scores are above 7k. In short, I am a solitaire force to be reckoned with and I will have my own special on Discovery Channel one day.

#1: 8092/94
#2: 7660/100
#3: 7175/107

_

No comments: