Friday, March 13, 2009

Oh What a Night!

While I grew up just a stones throw from New York City, I am basically a small town kind of guy. The borough I grew up in had a population of less than 10,000 and I now live in a smallish city of less than 50k. I'm not saying its rural or anything, just small by city standards. And as is always the case, with small comes few options for stuff to do. I guess what I'm saying is, I sometimes wish I lived in a big vibrant city with multiple entertainment options.

While I am writing this it is very early on Friday morning in Pennsylvania, but it is already late in the evening in Melbourne Australia. And What a night it has been! If I lived in Melbourne or it's surrounding area, I would have had a hell of a choice to make tonight. I could have joined with the 45,000 people who are watching the Geelong Cats play the Collingwood Magpies in the Grand Final of the NAB Cup at Docklands Stadium. Or, I could have watched the Melbourne Storm open their NRL season against St. George Illawara at Olympic Park. Even though the Storm played in last year's grand final, rugby is small potatoes in this town, so only about 15,000 people turned up to that game.

If I didn't feel like watching an outdoor game, I could of always headed over to Flinders Park to see the deciding game of the NBL's finals series at Hisense Arena. The Melbourne Tigers and the South Dragons tipped it off in front of another 10,000 sports fans just a few hours ago. I'd love to say I'd be torn between all these great sporting events if I lived in Melbourne, but that's just not so. I'd be right there at the Dome watching the Cats and Pies play, even thought that didn't turn out too well for me the last time.

While all this footy, rugby and hoops action is great, one can not live on sport alone. So, you could walk across the parking lot from the basketball game to Rod Laver Arena and see the rock band Kings of Leon with 15,000 more people. Or, you could just wait 12 hours and show up to the MCG at noon on Saturday for the Sound Relief Concert to benefit the victims of the Victoria brushfires. Kings of Leon will be back on the stage (even though they're Yanks, the Aussies love them) along with Midnight Oil, Jet, Paul Kelly, Wolfmother, Split Enz, Jack Johnson and many more.

All that before Sunday! In contrast, there's not a whole hell of a lot going on around here this weekend. So in the words of Missy Higgins: I'm Going North. Although, I somehow doubt I'll find a huge sporting event or a big rock show in Up State New York. Oh well, at least there will be spiedies.

_

No comments: