Friday, March 06, 2009

I'd Be a Hypocrite if I Said This Was Wrong

Two months ago I blogged about the dream job being offered by Tourism Queensland. I said that I would love the opportunity that they were offering but that I was sure the job would go to some hard bodied 24 year old. At first I said that even knowing this wouldn't stop me from applying, but then I started to see the videos being posted and my tune changed.

Video after video of rock hard young women in bikinis and musseled up bro's in board shorts spelled my doom. Because let's be honest here, if you were hiring someone to be the face of your product to the rest of the world would you pick someone that looked like me? Probably not. You would most likely try and find someone who looked like either Laura and Jen here, or one of Inky's Man Candy Monday guys. And in the end, it's hard to argue with that sensibility, even if it does leave some of us behind. Because if all things are equal on the delivery front, the hottest person will come out on top. Especially if they look good in a bikini top or sans top.

Some people are a bit more outraged in the face of this truism than I am. A number of the "not hot enough to make the top 50" masses sent angry letters to Tourism Queensland, but I won't be joining in. I'm too much of a realist to be part of the average Joe's cacophony of outrage. Because if I was picking someone to represent me on the Internet, I'd probably pick someone young and hot too. Until the consumer base stops paying attention to dumbass kids who look good in swimwear the advertising industry will keep parading them out there. Who am I to question that?

_

No comments: