Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Funny... and Tasty



Inky and I were watching PTI last night when this ad for Quiznoz came on. First and foremost, I love the reference to H.A.L. from 2001 a Space Oddesy. This can be a hugely overused device, but somehow it really works when it isn't a computer, but a sandwich oven. But that wasn't all the good folks at Quiznos had in store for us in this ad. No, they also took it to another level by throwing in completely unnecessary sexual innuendo. The kid says "I'm not doing that again. It burns" which could easily be passed off as any number of things. Then, the oven begs "put it in me" and I just about fell off the couch.

That's comedy gold!

I guess this kind of innuendo is too much for broadcast TV however, because later in the evening, during How I Met Your Mother, we saw a different version of the ad. The joke this time is about Scott cleaning the oven with a shammy and the oven saying "we both enjoyed that" which is still kind of funny, but not 'put it in me' funny.

Either way, hats off to Quiznos for putting an ad out there that isn't the same old. And more than that, I thank them for not having that awful smell that permeats every Subway on the face of the earth. You know what I'm talking about, that smell that sticks to you like dollar store perfume the second you walk in there. Quiznos doesn't get down like that, and I appreciate it.

_

No comments: