Wednesday, February 18, 2009

At What Cost Soda? No... Seriously

I'm not a cheep guy by any stretch of the imagination. I'm more than happy to pay a fair amount for goods or services, and I abhor the thought of driving 30 miles out of my way to save a few bucks. I used to watch with horror as an old friend of mine would drive to the other side of town to pay 92 cents a gallon for gas rather than the 99 cents at the one near our high school. I tried to tell him that the 7 cent a gallon difference only added up to 70 cents in a 10 gallon tank which was not worth the extra time, but he wasn't having it.

I'm not being whimsical here by waxing nostalgic about the days of sub dollar-a-gallon gas (which in New Jersey they pump for you too.) I mention all this as my rock solid proof that I am not being a curmudgeonly old fart when I make this next statement:

What the fuck is the deal with the price of soda at restaurants these days? Inky and I went out to dinner tonight and the place we went to got $2.29 for her Iced Tea and $3.00 for my soda. Today at lunch, the sandwich place I went to asked $2.75 for a carbonated beverage. This is highway fucking robbery! Even when you factor in refills this is a ludicrous amount to ask for soda.

These places are paying for the box of syrup, the water and the compressor after the first few dozen sodas, then its all pure profit. To make matters worse, most places don't even put the price of the soda on the menu anymore, as was the case at the eatery Inky and I patronized this evening.

My father used to tell us about highfalutin restaurants where there were no prices on the menu, because if you had to ask then you couldn't afford it. I guess that's the case with a Coke or a Pepsi these days. If you look down at the beverages section and don't see a price and you have second thoughts, just order a water.

_

1 comment:

XL said...

I really enjoy going out and hearing the beer special at the bar is cheaper than soda. That just give me more justification to drink....although sadly there are no free refills.