Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Borderline Retarded*

I'm going to write the following, knowing that I am violating the trust of a person who told me this in violation of yet another person's trust. So, forgive me if I'm a bit vague, but, this is a story that needs to be told. It is yet another tale that makes you wonder just how smart the supposed smart people are, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

As the first semester comes to a close my school has a process whereby faculty and staff can nominate Seniors for an academic honor at graduation. It is supposed to be initiated by the faculty or staff member, based on what they know of the student. But, some students do a bit of lobbying. In this case, a senior who has great grades but doesn't stand out otherwise, emailed a professor asking him to nominate her and to get others in the department to do the same.

The prof told her that he didn't think she did enough to stand out, and that this award was for an all around well rounded student. At this point, the student decided to plead her case by trying to turn her perceived negatives into positives. When accused of never taking a leadership role in group projects or holding a position of leadership in any student organizations, the student responded thusly:

"I shouldn't be punished because I'm not a pre-madonna like all the others." After which, she goes on to take all the other students in her major down a peg. I, of course, couldn't get past the "pre-madonna" part of the email... because it's ridiculous.

Did she mean before-Madonna? Like 1981, or like Prince or something? Because most college educated people know the term is: Prima Donna. God help us if students with a high B average think the term is pre-madonna, because we are heading into tough times and the Japanese are already whipping our asses. In fact, I would guess that 9 out of 10 Japanese college students know it's Prima Donna, and they don't even speak English, let alone Italian.

*Alternate titles for this post are: Like a Moron, You Must Be a Stupid Star, Post-Intelligence, Spotlight (On Ignorance), Professor Don't Preach, (Please Don't)Express Yourself, Holiday from brain power, and lastly, from "American Life" I'm So Stupid, whew.

_

1 comment:

XL said...

That is almost as funny as the student who thought a milano was an ethnic minority as opposed to the mulatto. Another title option would be "I Don't Have A Prayer"...