Friday, December 05, 2008

The Dirty Dozen.

As Inky has already pointed out over on her blog, today is our anniversary. Not of the day we were married, which was 9 years and 3 1/2 months ago. No, today is the 12th anniversary of the day I finally got up the balls to ask her out. We have both made mention of December 5th 1996 over the last couple of years that we have been blogging. I've always gotten the feeling that this day is more important in many ways to us than it would be to other couples. In fact, a lot of people I've talked to don't remember the exact day they started dating, and some have even said that they thought it was weird that I am so fond of this day.

It's your classic chicken and egg situation. Of course I am immensely happy thinking about that hot and dry day in August '99, that ended up becoming a rain sodden evening. That's the day that we became a real couple in the eyes of the law, which is something I don't take lightly since my own brother doesn't have the same right to be legally joined with the person he loves most. That said, I know that Inky and I could have very easily just been ships that past in the night if everything hadn't gone right in the fall of 1996.

What if I had been dating someone when she broke up with her boyfriend? What if I had just assumed that we were too different to be together, as most of the people we knew did. What if I had never told a mutual friend (who had a propensity to blab) how I felt, causing her to say something to Inky. So I will never take December 5th lightly, because you can't count to 10 with out 1, and that day was step one (cut a hole in a box...) for us.

It all stems from that day, all the laughing. All the great times and inside jokes. Years worth of love and friendship were made possible because of that day in December of 1996. Here's to another few dozen, I love you!

_

2 comments:

Heidi Champa said...

"I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. . . I want to be on you.

Wait. . .I want to be on you."

XL said...

I like to think I was there the night you went to step 3 (make her open the box). Mrs. XL and I enjoy December 14th every year because that is when we started dating 15 years ago this year.