Wednesday, November 26, 2008

And I'm Back!

One thing's for sure, this is a big motherfucking country. That is never more evident then when you have to fly across it in one night, like I did last night, but I'm getting ahead of myself. While my main reason for traveling to Seattle was for work, I also found sometime to see the sights. In fact, one of the people I was in town to see, a 75 year old man, was kind enough to take me to some less often seen Seattle sights. This included the Hiram Chittenden Locks which separate the salt water of Puget Sound from the fresh water of Salmon Bay and Lake Union. While this may sound like a bit of a bore to you, I actually enjoyed it, which says all kinds of things about me.

In addition to the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, the Central Library (pictured above) and the other normal sights, there was one thing I had to see while I was in the area. So, before heading to the airport yesterday I hopped in my rental car and drove down through Tacoma, over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and made my way to Bremerton. My target was the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard which is the penultimate resting place of the ship my father served on in the late 60's, the USS Independence.

The once mighty Indy now sits moored alongside her sisters, The USS Constellation and the USS Ranger, and all three of them are dying a slow death while they await their final fate. My dad always talked very fondly of his time aboard the Indy, and while I was happy to see her once more, I was sad that she is going to either be ripped to pieces for scrap or sunk to form an artificial reef. It had been hoped that she would become a floating museum like my great-uncle's ship, The Intrepid, but no such luck.

After snapping a few photos of Indy and the others, I climbed in the rental and headed to the airport. I don't know what I was thinking traveling in the days leading to Thanksgiving, because the terminal was lousy with homeward heading college students and returning prodigal sons and daughters, all flying home for some turkey and stuffing. My usual travel frustrations were doubled, but all made worth it when my 10 hours of flying and driving lead me back to Inky.

_

No comments: