Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pros and Cons

After three days of sharpening my fundraising skills in Nashville, It's time for me to hit the road. I have a love/hate relationship with travel. On one hand I really enjoy being anywhere that isn't where I always am. On the other hand, I don't really like doing it without Inky. After a dozen years of being together all the time, three days apart can really take the fun out of people watching, even in a place as batshit crazy as this is. It's not as fun to take notice of people doing or saying ridiculous stuff if I have to wait to tell her or XL about it later.

Plus, I tire of low pressure shower heads, uncomfortable beds, and the hastles of not having a car. To make matters worse, I miss tivo, playstation, ever present web connectivity and my woobie. It's really a mixed bag when I travel alone. Traveling also has an impact on my overall enjoyment levels. It's one thing when I'm going to Australia with Inky, or on one of my crazy sports trips with XL, then all the ins and outs don't seem to matter as much, because it's all just a means to an end. But, when I travel for work, I have a primary focus that doesn't always allow me to stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

In the end, after all saying all that, I've been happy to spend a few days in Nashville. I walked up and down Broadway a few dozen times, ate at a few great places and even watched some live country music, albeit sung by someone I've never heard of before. I walked over to the western part of town and saw the full size replica of the Parthenon, which I, in all my geeky glory found very cool. While I wasn't able to see any sporting events while in town, I did see the Titan's home stadium across the Cumberland River last night.

Now I just have to kill sometime until my flght, so I'm sitting in a Panera using their wi-fi after enjoying my broccoli cheese soup and roast beef sandwich. There's no rest for the greazy after I travel from central Tenn to Central Penn, however. I get back late tonight, and tomorrow I'll be driving out to the Philly area to pick up Inky, and then we are headed into SoHo for her first reading. Then, on Friday night, I have one of those: get all dressed up, smile and gladhand work events. I have a funny feeling that this weekend won't be very productive.

_

No comments: