Sunday, October 19, 2008

Greazy Be Travelin'

I logged a hell of a lot of miles this week, and I'm very much enjoying the fact that I'm home. Things started for me a week ago at this time, when I headed south to BWI so I could make my way even farther south to Tennessee. I spent three days in Nashville, and I did a few blog post's there the last few days to let you know what I was up to. After my work was done in Nashville, my traveling wasn't done, however.

Inky had a big event scheduled in New York on Thursday night, so I woke up at 10:00 AM on Thursday and headed out to the Philadelphia burbs to pick her up. We drove to Hoboken New Jersey and took the Path train into lower Manhattan. I've been promising to take Inky a lot of famous spots in NYC for years, and on Thursday I got to make good by taking her to Katz's Delicatessen. My old man used to take us to Katz's all the time for a pastrami sandwich and a Dr. Brown's Cream Soda, but most people know it from Meg Ryan's fake orgasm in "When Harry Met Sally."

After we ate at around 4:30 we walked down to a place called Teany on Rivington which is owned by Moby where we rendezvoused with our group for the evening. This was a group of other writers, some of whom were also set to read their work that night, just like Inky was. So after we had our Tea and snacks, we walked down to a place called Happy Ending Lounge on Broome for the readings.

It was a good sized crowed, all of whom were there to hear the featured writers read their work. Inky was nervous, but did a great job when it was her time to read, which came as no surprise to me. She got a lot of great feedback from the other writers and other people in the crowd, which were greatly deserved. It was nice to find ourselves in a group of smart, funny and interesting people who know how to carry on a conversation, and so we were excited to keep the party going when the readings ended, just before 11.

We grabbed a couple of cabs and went over to the West Village to have a late dinner at The French Roast. Here the conversation continued an meandered through all manner of topics. We were going strong well past midnight, and sat talking long past the time our food, and a few bottles of wine, were gone. Inky and I failed in our attempt to catch the 2:16 Path train from 9th St. Station, so we went back to the restaurant to kill a bit more time till the 2:46 train came.

Even though we had a great time, it was damn late by the time we got back to the car in Hoboken, and even later by the time I dropped Inky off at her Mom's house. I had to get back to York for a work function on Friday, but I didn't make it home till just after 7AM. Needless to say, I was wiped out and I passed out as soon as I flopped into bed. That night I had to work late, as we had a big fundraising dinner at work, so by the time I got home, I was just barley a shell of myself.

So Inky and I have taken it easy this weekend, allowing me to recharge a bit. We went out to dinner last night, and then went and saw a play at the new Performing Arts Center at our Alma Mater. The week that wouldn't end, finally did, but now I'm killing time watching football till another one starts tomorrow. I need a vacation.

_

No comments: