Friday, May 30, 2008

The Last Plane Out of Sydney's Almost Gone...

I can't believe how fast it went, but alas, here we are at the end of the road. It's 7:30 AM on my birthday here in Sydney, but it's 5:30 in the afternoon at home on the 30th. By the time I get to Philly it will be just before midnight on the 31st and we will have covered another 12,000 miles.

I can't begin to say how much fun we've had on this trip. I've reveled in all my favorite Aussie things, places and customs. From Sydney to Tasmania to the Ocean Road to Melbourne to the Outback and now back to Sydney the three weeks passed all at once in the blink of an eye, while at the same time creeping by at a snails pace. When I think about our first day here, it seams like a year ago, but when I think about going back to work in a few days it all seams too soon.

My family has always been a traveling family, by which I mean we went on a lot of trips, not that we moved around like a military family or anything. Earlier this year they were in Ireland, and last year they went to Turkey. When I was a kid we spent a month in Europe one winter (where oddly enough the joke began that I hated to walk places, ask Inky how much that's changed. I must have lost 10 pounds on this trip with all the walking I've made her do.) and when I was a teen I went with my Aunt, Uncle and cousin to Russia for a month. So traveling is kind of in my blood. I have this desire to see things I can't see at home, but also to see how the things we do have at home differ in places I've never been. That's why I watch TV on vacation.

All I know is, Australia never disappoints me in any respect. It's a nation full of friendly people, amazing sights, great food, exciting cultural events and enough of all of it to take up a few months let alone the last three weeks. It will always be a special place to me, a place where I feel comfortable yet still able to see and do something new.

During the trip, Inky and I have been talking about the next trip we'll take. I love Oz so much that I would love to come back here, but I think we'll do Europe for our 10 year anniversary next summer. The plane flight is way shorter, and we can collect a few more cities, places and attractions.

_

No comments: