Thursday, May 29, 2008

Holy Crap That's Good!!!

There are so many wonderful things about traveling, but one of my favorites has always been trying new things to eat. When we get back, I'm planning to regale you with stories of Tim Tam (of which Inky and I have procured a large supply to take along home with us) Schweppes Lemonade, Picnic Bars and others, but this post is about pancakes. Ricotta pancakes to be more specific, from a famous Sydney area eatery called Bills.

Inky and I took the train to Central Station and walked up the big ass hill on Albion St to the Crown Street Bills, in Surry Hills. There are other things on the menu that all sound amazing, but we were there for ricotta pancakes and we weren't leaving without them. They come with honeycomb butter and a sliced banana, which along with the syrup makes the whole event feel more like desert than what it actually is: brekkie at lunch.

The pancakes don't taste like cheese, the ricotta just serves to make them a bit lighter and provide a different texture. Once you let the honeycomb butter melt over them and douse them with the syrup you are in for a complete taste experience. Add a slice of nana and it borders on perfection. Anyone visiting Sydney has to find one of the three locations and partake of these little bundles of goodness. I'd put them right after the Bridge, The Opera House, Bondi and Manley.

This is our last full day in Australia, at this time tomorrow we'll be in the air headed east... way east. Tomorrow is also my 32nd birthday and as a gift I'll get to enjoy a 38 hour birthday. From the time the clock strikes midnight in Sydney tonight till the time we land in Philly almost two full days will elapse on my watch, but it will all fall under the same day on the calender. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go enjoy my last day in Sydney and my last day as a 31 year old.

_

2 comments:

XL said...

Happy Birthday man, I know you're not looking forward to spending it on an airplane for 34 hours but at least it'll be a good story years down the road.

XL said...

By the way, I'm also looking forward to the post that explains how living on 6 pair of Undies for three weeks worked out.