Monday, May 12, 2008

Fucking Hostel

Fourteen hours on a plane is too much! Seriously, if I didn't love this country so much there is no way I'd ever go through that again. Luckily for Inky and I, the Aussie dollar is strong and the Greenback isn't, so the plane wasn't nearly as full as our '05 trip. Sure the conversion rate blows, but at least we didn't have a third person in our row as we spent our endless evening over the Pacific.

From the time Inky and I went to bed on Friday night, until we got to Sydney 60 hours had elapsed. Of that 60 we spent 36 in transit and I may have gotten a grand total of 10 hours of sleep, all told. Once in Newtown, we decided to skip the early morning nap and walk around town, but now we are going to succumb to an afternoon nap.

We are at our Hostel now, which is very nice mind you, but I find myself wondering if we are too old for this kind of travel. There are all sorts of cool kids, disaffected uni students, and eurotrash 20 somethings here and we stick out like a non-trad at a kegger. It's just such an amazingly cheep way to travel, that I couldn't pass it up. And the place we are at is very nice, trendy and cool.

I think tomorrow may be a toss of the coin type of day. It's either heads and we go to the Blue Mountains or tails and we go to the Beach. Stay tuned to TGWOOfY to see what we pick.

_

2 comments:

Jer said...

Drink as much Lemon Lime & Bitters as you can. I miss that stuff soo dang much.

Also: Arnott's Spiced Fruit Roll.

XL said...

Glad you survived the journey. I'm sure you and Inky can teach the 20 somethings and Euro Trash a thing or two about cool!!