Sunday, March 16, 2008

Show Review: Missy Higgins at Fletchers

I know I just saw Missy Higgins play live a few days ago, but when you live betwixt a few major cities you have a few opportunities to see shows without having to drive too far. Plus, Inky wasn't at the show on Tuesday because I was traveling for work, so we headed down to Baltimore to see her in the last show of this tour.

As venues go, Fletchers isn't good. At least not for someone like Missy, who you want to watch while she sings. I can see that it may be good from some thrash metal band where everyone just wants to listen while they slam into one another, but I digress. I'm starting to think a lot less of the people in Baltimore, since Inky and I keep having bad experiences down there with really rude people who don't know how to A) hold their liquor or B) hold their tongue. If you want to get drunk and act stupid on St. Patricks day weekend, then why not just go to the bar and save your self the $17 for the ticket to the show. Also, if you want to hear the one song that was on Grey's Anatomy and then just talk the rest of the time then check youtube the day after the show and don't show up.

As for the show it self, what can I say? Missy is the consummate musician, and even after seeing her for the 5th time I enjoy every second of her performance. Whether it be with the full band, or just her and a guitar she can grab ahold of your attention and keep you transfixed, even whey you know the songs backwards and forwards. The play list included the songs that are "must plays" but as always peppered in a few that I hadn't heard since the first or second show. Here's how the show went:

1. The Battle
2. Secret
3. Angela
4. Dusty Road
5. Ten Days
6. Going North
7. This is How it Goes
8. Where I Stood
9. Forgive Me
10. Any Day Now
11. Don't Ever
12. Wrong Girl
13. Hold Me Tight
14. Warm Whispers
15. 100 Round the Bends
16. Peachy
17. Scar
18. Steer

The energy in the room (all the nonsense aside) was the best of any Missy show Inky and I have seen. There were far more people who knew the songs than didn't and a fair amount of the crowd who even sung along from time to time. While I think Missy is a complete enough artist to appeal to a wide audience, the crowd was decidedly female, and with a large contingent of the young Baltimore Lesbian on the town, not that there's anything wrong with that. I mean, the last time I saw that much girl on girl kissing (other than on the L Word) I had to pay $9.99 and the title didn't appear on my bill at check out. I'm just telling you what I saw.

_

No comments: