Sunday, February 10, 2008

Kickin' It, but is it too soon?

First things first, I'm not a real big shoe guy. I have a pair of Timberland deck shoes that I bought in 1993, and I wear them... a lot. I have a pair of new hiking shoes that I got last summer, a few pairs of work shoes (some of which belonged to my old man and may be as old as some of the students on campus) and I have some sneakers. Do people even call them sneakers anymore? That's neither here nor there, the real point is: I don't buy shoes very often.

I picked up this pair of Converse three quarter tops a week or two ago for one reason. I wanted to have enough time to break them in. I don't know about you, but the first 30 or 40 times I wear a pair of shoes they still feel like rentals at the bowling ally. The size is right, but they don't feel like a part of me. I wanted to have the time to make these shoes mere extensions of my feet by the time they set foot on Aussie soil in 91 days. So I have the next 14 weeks to break these shoes in, thus ensuring that they will be at their optimal level for conveying me about Sydney, Launceston, Uluru and Melbourne.

Does that make me:

A) A well prepared and intelligent traveler
B) A ridiculous over-thinker
C) Kind of crazy
D) A loser
E) Both A and D
F) All of the Above

_

1 comment:

XL said...

I'm thinking C because who the hell else is thinking they need a certain amount of time to break in tennis shoes (do they still call them that...) So go eat some Rolos and Now and Laters while I drive back up with your strait jacket you crazy bastard.

P.S. Chocolate Rain, weekend double shifts are killing me....