Saturday, February 02, 2008

Food Review: Chicago Stuffed Pizza

First, as a matter of course, let me say that I love football. When I say football, I mean the NFL, which in my mind is FOOTBALL. That said, I also love football, by which I mean Australian rules. I think they are both great, and wouldn't slight Aussie rules in the least bit, but it just isn't FOOTBALL, it's footy. But, it's still amazing and I love it.

It's kind of like that with Giordano's famous stuffed Pizza. It was mindblowingly good, but it just isn't pizza. Pizza is a melding of sauce, cheese, toppings and crust in to a fully coalesced unit. When brought together these items can... nay, must be eaten by hand. No forks and knives allowed when you eat real pizza, the American way. Italian pizza is also a different story, kind of like how the World Cup is also football, what they do is also pizza but that's a different story for a different day.

I ate at the Giordano's location just down Jackson Street from the Sears Tower, on a cold evening earlier this week. To say it was a cold evening earlier this week goes without saying, since the whole city was frozen during my stay. I knew going into it that the house specialty takes about 40 minutes to cook, so I positioned myself in front of a TV so I could watch Maryland take it to Virginia.

When my pie (you can't order by the slice, so I had to opt for the 10") arrived I was instantly impressed with the presentation. As you can see by the picture, the order in which the ingredients are put together is different in Chitown. After layering the pan with the dough, the cheese goes in next, and then is topped by the sauce, which is more of a marinara then you would get in New York or New Jersey.

It doesn't just look good, it tastes damn good too. The cheese is of a very high quality, which is hardly ever the case at a chain pizza joint, and sadly doesn't seem to be the case at local places out here in the boondocks. All the elements of the pie come together very well, although I would like a slightly crispier crust. I downed three slices before I had to throw in the napkin, but I really enjoyed every bite.

If you find yourself in Chicago, run do not walk to a Giordano's location (there are 14 in the city proper) and chow down. Just remember: while you love football, you can also like football and occasionally even football. This world has a plethora of things to put in your mouth.

_

No comments: