Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy Australia Day Bitches!

I know what you're thinking: "But Greazy, today is the 25th and the First Fleet arrived in Sydney Cove on the 26th." You're right, but as it always the case, today is actually tomorrow in Australia, so it's time to celebrate. I've come to love the Lucky land, and if all things were equal Inky and I would live there for at least a few year. Don't get me wrong, I love America, but my love for my nation is largely due to the fact that I was born here. The comparison I often use is family. You love your family members because you are born amongst them, but not all of them are people you would be friends with if you weren't related. I can tell you that if I wasn't born as an American, I might be one of the people who had a problem with it. America is the New York Yankees or the New England Patriots, and I tend to root (funny to my Aussie friends) for the underdog.

In a lot of ways Australia is the underdog, the Green Bay Packers if you will. There is so much that is great about them, but they don't have quite the following of their cousins in the UK, Canada or America. Over the last few years I have spent a lot of time reading about their history, and immersing myself in their pop culture, only to find that I seem much more en sync with the ethos of an Aussie than I am with my own people. In the end I may be American by birth, but I think I'd like to be Aussie by choice. I may not know every little thing about Aussie culture, but I endeavor to know more. To that end, Inky and I are making our second trip down under in 107 days, and I can't wait.

_

No comments: