Tuesday, January 15, 2008

All Natural Remedy


Sure, Inky and I will be leaving for Australia in 117 days, which isn't as long as it sounds in most respects. We hardly have enough time to make all of our plans, initiate our contacts down there, save money, and ultimately to decided just what we want to do with our time there. On the other side of the coin, that is 81 work days until we leave, and work has a tendency to make your life drag in a blur of monotony, angst and annoyance.

So, to combat all that, I like to get out into nature from time to time. This is one of those 'can't judge a book by it's cover' situations. I am a big fat guy with lots of tattoo's who loves sports and is basically an overgrown 14 year old. On the inside, however, I am a guy who loves nothing more than nature. Give me a lake, a trail, a beautiful rising or setting sun and I am struck with contemplative awe. I can sit and stare at the sun dancing off the ripples of a lake, like lake Redman in York County, for hours upon hours. I find it calming, and in someways I always have. When I thought life's problems were overwhelming me in high school I often used to drive to the Jersey Shore and sit and watch the ocean by myself. Once in College, when I was feeling beet down by life, I drove to Redman (actually Lake Williams, the other one) and sat there until the sun went down.

It's my elixir, my medicine, my pause button in the Playstation game of life, if you will. But, much like most supposed panaceas, I have found that the benefits wear off much faster with each dose these days, leading to a quick reappearance of my symptoms. I'm 4 months away from marveling at the natural beauty of the Tasmanian Wilderness, the diamond sparkle of Sydney Harbour, the green expanses of the Yarra Valley and the epic grander of Uluru, or Ayers Rock to you whitey. Will it be enough to snap me out of my funk? I don't know, but I sure hope so, both for my sake and for Inky's sake. In the meantime, will keep going up to the trails at Lake Redman to get our booster shot which will have to keep us operating for the time being.

No comments: