Friday, November 09, 2007

Outgrowing the Holidays

I have such fond memories of the holidays we had as a kid. I really loved Thanksgiving, and of course I lived for Christmas. It was easy then, because you had time off from school and the focus was on seeing family and basically just chilling together. Who wouldn't love that? It's all different now, however, and I feel sad that I'm not into it anymore. Now if I want to have time off at the holidays, it comes at the expense of a vacation later in the year, it's not just a given. Inky and I also live far away from our families so we always have to travel on holidays, and almost never get to spend them in our own home. Plus, since we don't plan on having kids, we know that we will be the ones who have to travel for the better part of the next 3 decades.

It all adds up to turn these once sacrosanct days into just any other 3 day weekend where we pick up and go. It may as well be memorial day or July 4th but with turkey instead of a cook out and presents instead of fireworks. Not that I don't love turkey and presents minds you, because they are two of my favorite things in the world. Hell, XL and I are driving to New York City tonight for an old school dego funeral and we're stopping for lunch in Lancaster so I can have a turkey bobbie, so it's not even about that. It's just that these holidays have lost a bit of their zing for me , and that makes me sad. Sad for myself and for those who have to put up with me.

_

No comments: