Monday, November 05, 2007

On Edge

The time has come for me to admit something: I'm constantly on edge when it comes to my job. It's not that I don't like the job, just that I'm not particularly crazy about jobs in general, and less enamored of how work makes me feel. I'm a big boy, and I get it: we all have to work. I'm past the stage of asking why we have to do something we don't like for 80% of our lives and not just spend our time loving life. OK, maybe I'm not past that, but at least I understand that we're not going to undo thousands of years of human culture so we can all chill out at the beach.

But there's got to be something else, right? I love the time I have outside of work, but I have failed to find a job that sets my soul alite. Maybe that's not in the cards these days, but what's sad is that I know this is a problem most of the people in my life have. I know so few people who love what they do, or worse who they do it for. I normally handle these kinds of feelings pretty well, but of late I've been more edgy then usual. I'm very excited that Inky and I will be leaving for our trip to Australia in 187 days, 12 hours and 7 minutes, but I am already painfully aware that we'll be back to our normal lives 3 weeks later.

I don't know quite what I'm going to do about all this, but I'm trying to figure that out. And don't worry, if I come up with a foolproof solution I'll be sure to do a blog post about it.

_

No comments: