Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I'm Chris Hanson, What are you doing here Neil Diamond?

So I'm sure everyone has heard that Neil Diamond has finally reveled that he wrote "Sweet Caroline” about JFK's daughter. On the surface that sounds sweet indeed; a struggling young singer who sees an adorable picture of Caroline Kennedy and her pony and writes a song about it. Unfortunately, I'm a cynical a-hole, and this grossed me out to no end.

"Hands, touching hands. Reaching out. Touching me, touching you."

Eww! This song was written 40 years ago, and Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg is 50. So Neil saw this picture of a 10 year old girl and her horse and he was compelled to write these lyrics? I know things were done differently back then, but I'm pretty sure a 27 year old man writing "touching me, touching you" about a 10 year old was still fucked up. Plus, I'm pretty sure I've heard Neil tell a whole different story about how he was inspired to write this song:

"I wrote this song after a big show at the Forum. Gary and I had been drinking pretty heavily and we'd been driving. We were driving down this dark road and I hit a kid. So we got out and sure enough he was dead. So, we took off... pretty fast, and two hours later I wrote "Sweet Caroline."

Some how I find this version of the story less offensive then the dude who had a bone for the President's daughter and her horse. So Neil Diamond is not only a pedophile but also a horse fucker? Wow, that is big news indeed.

No comments: