Thursday, September 06, 2007

My Wife is Fucking Tough

The next time I'm doing something around the house and I hurt myself, I can't milk the pain and get attention from my wife. I can't complain that a nagging injury will keep me from taking out the trash, or getting the laundry. Why not you ask. Because my wife walked a mile and a half... ON A BROKEN ANKLE! We have been doing a lot of hiking of late, and she decided to take advantage her half day yesterday to go out and hit the trail. But then the trail hit back.

There is one point along Kelly's Run where the trail narrows from an average of 4 feet to less than 1 foot. Each time we crossed it it looked as if it was getting smaller and smaller as more of it eroded away and fell over the side. Unfortunately for Inky, she happened to be walking on it when some of it eroded yesterday and she fell over the side, about 4 feet.

In a position where a lot of people, both men and women, would have panicked she pulled her shit together and assessed the situation. She had three choices: #1) Sit there and wait for someone to come along and help her. #2) Crawl to a point where she got Cel Signal and call 911, or me, to come get her. Or #3) Get up and walk out of the forest... on her fucking broken ankle. She took #3.

When she got home I was telling her that I was sure it had to be a sprain, because she wouldn't have been able to walk on a break. Then she took off her shoe, and I knew just by looking at it that it was broken. We rushed to the ER and after 2 1/2 hours we knew for sure. The kindly British lady who took her X-ray's said the same thing 'if you walked on it than it's probably not broken. Unless you have an unusually high tolerance for pain.' I guess she does.

So I'm home with her today, trying to help her get comfortable and trying to not feel like a total lady. Cause, I think I would still be sitting at the bottom of that creekbed trying to figure out what to do.

_

1 comment:

princess1128 said...

That's my ween for ya. She's one bad dude!!! I'm so proud.