Friday, May 11, 2007

You Can Teach An Old Dog New Tricks

I had the pleasure of watching my home-town team play a game while I was doing some business in Camden NJ yesterday. There's nothing like watching a baseball game on a nice day in the spring, especially when your team wins. There are only a few things I need to make a day at the ballpark perfect, despite the final score, and one of them is a hot dog.

Nothing says baseball to me like a dog, and for the first 29 years of my life that meant a dog with ketchup. That's just the way I ate them, sometimes with relish too, but always ketchup. I think it went back to young days when my Aunt Paulette would give us bologna and ketchup on white bread (and cheese and ketchup on white bread after she went vegetarian).

Then came Yacco's, the eastern PA hot dog kings, who's dogs feature mustard. In full, the dogs sport chopped fresh onions, mustard, and a special chili sauce all over a grilled dog and nestled in a steamed bun. The are fucking amazing, I couldn't love a human baby as much as I love a Yacco's dog. Slowly but surely I have become a mustard convert, still using relish from time to time but never ketchup. That's good work out Yacco's, oh and by the way, the dogs at Campbell's Field in Camden are just ok. But, when downed while watching your boys come from down a run to win, they are awesome!

_

No comments: